Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fit to Work!

I had to go into the city today to give the local nursing registration body a piece of paper that they neglected to request in the first place. I did suspect that perhaps their mission was to make the NMC [UK Nursing Registration body] look like they're ruthlessly efficient.

I spoke to them yesterday to find that, after 9 weeks of "processing", they'd sent letter to me in the UK a week ago [despite having explicitly asked for email contact, and having told them I was now in Australia on at least 2 occasions].

They were writing to notify me that the NMC hadn't sent verification of my registration in the UK. I asked them to re-check as the NMC had written to me mid-December to say that they had indeed done it.

They phoned me back a few minutes later, meekly apologising in a quiet voice, "Ah, yes, we do have it, after all... sorry." And if I could bring the other bit of paper in they'd issue my registration over the counter, unless they happen to forget in the meantime and insist on sending it to the UK via Uzbekistan. I may have made that last bit up.

I went in, they were disarmingly pleasant, polite, helpful and efficient, and in 15 minutes I was registered and able to practice here as a nurse.

So the job quest can now start in earnest. There's a community job in South Central Melbourne, so I'm applying for that, and have a few agencies applications on the go too. More news as it comes...

If anyone would like an email, please email us first as we can't access our address books at the moment - the back-up DVD won't work on our drive here for some reason. And we do like emails to find out what's happening in your lives. Just use the "comment" option and we'll get the message! And don't forget that there are some party photos on the pics site. Our broadband connection has maxed out on bandwith too, so we won't be uploading any photos till next week - sorry!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian and Claudine!

Glad to hear you're both un-singed and even, possibly, employable!
Jammy and I are fine (despite the evidence of the leaving do photo...) and back from snowboarding in two pieces (one piece each). We are planning another Dales trip, and while there will remember you at your most glamorous!

love Clare

BTW... where are you on google earth... it'ld be fun to 'zoom in'!

Friday, 03 February, 2006  
Blogger claudy said...

Hey Clare!

We don't have Google Earth on my brother's PC but my extraordinary nephew has all our houses book marked so next time I am there I will get it for you.

Glad you guys are back from snowboarding in one piece! Jealous you are visiting the Dales sans the Berri's though! I looked at my Dales calendar today as a matter of fact - and was just a little bit homesick.

Email soon.

Love
Claud x

Friday, 03 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey claudyberry!

Saw your 'top tip' in the travel section of the guardian this weekend!

Do you want us to send you a copy?

fame fame!

love Clare

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Don't know how else to contact you at mo. Do you have regular email?
anyway, wanted to say Happy happy birthday to Ian - this will prob get to you after the event what with time zones and all... enjoy an Aussie b'day.
I have resisted the temptation to have another b'day in Aus, but have booked flights to MElbourne for May. AM landing on 4th mAy and leaving again on 29th. Hope very much to see you there! I want to get up to Cape York to see the sights and would be up for days/w.e's out closer to MElb. Hope you're well. Love you both.

Jen (PS please forgive my random use of capitals!)

Saturday, 11 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home