Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Big in Zambia?

Whilst waiting to watch Tim Freedman from The Whitlams play in a cental Melbourne music store, I noticed a Zambian Official [surely not an athlete unless a weightlifter or shotputter?] in full shiny-tracksuit-with-flags-and-logos, seeking out choice DVDs to take home with him...

His choice bizarrely included old-school British sitcom "Keeping Up Appearances"... Yes, the Hyacinth Bucket thing.

Now, that's not something I'd imagine would translate terribly well to Zambian life [or any civilised society, for that matter, but that's my snobbery coming through again], but it clearly has some transcendental qualities hitherto unidentified...
Blimey, that sentence was a bit of a mouthful, wasn't it? It's staying in though, as I quite like it...


Perhaps it was some sort of a bribe for a Games official with British heritage?

p.s. Don't miss Claud's 2 new posts which have just appeared below my Whingeing Pom one... Here and here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ozpom pair - great to hear your news - I've skimmed through it a bit to get the jist/gist (which one is it?). Still not quite clear exactly where you're up to with homes, jobs etc. Could you do a quick paragraph in summary! The links are hysterical - such perfect technology.

I still haven't written your e-mail address down so I'm using this as alternative communication.

Summer has arrived here today - blue skies and warm sun. St. Albans is beautiful with the cathedral, lake and park, exc. shopping and London only 25mins by train. Peter and I went out for the evening in Leicester Squ./Covent Garden last weekend - re-lived student haunts and could hardly believe we were there so easily.
I'll keep reading!
Take care LOL
Bridge xx

Friday, 24 March, 2006  
Blogger Ian said...

Hi Bridge

Nice to hear from you. Just sent you an email with our addresses on them...

Ian

Friday, 24 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home