Thursday, December 01, 2005

Elbow Room 2 [...continued]

So that was the starting song of a great gig. The lead singer, Guy Garvey, said at one point that they enjoyed playing Manchester, as who wouldn't? To the greatest fans in the greatest venue [The Apollo] in the greatest city in the World.

And I thought, yeah! And I'm moving from the greatest city on earth to the second greatest, so what am I to complain about? And the second one has sunshine too. To quote Ian Brown [Stone Roses]:

“Manchester’s got everything except a beach”

They ended with "Forget Myself", another song about my town, the party town that I no longer do much partying in, but still my town:

They’re pacing Piccadilly in packs again
And moaning for the mercy of a never come rain
The suns had enough and the simmering sky
Has the heave and the hue of a woman on fire

Shop shutters rattle down and I’m cutting the crowd
All scented and descending from the satellite towns
The neon is graffiti singing make a new start
So I look for a plot where I can bury my broken heart

No I know I wont forget you but I’ll forget myself if the city will forgive me

The man on the door has a head like Mars
Like a baby born to the doors of the bars
And surrounded by steam with his folded arms
He’s got that urban genie thing going on
He’s so mercifully free of the pressures of grace
Saint Peter in satin he’s like Buddha with mace

No I know I wont forget you but I’ll forget myself if the city will forgive me

Do you move through the room with a glass in your hand
Thinking too hard about the way you stand
Are you watching them pair off and drinking them long
Are you falling in love every second song

No I know I wont forget you but I’ll forget myself and the city will forgive me


It was a strangely cathartic experience, and something that had been missing the previous week when we saw New Order at the same venue. Somehow New Order were global and slightly impersonal despite their impeccable Manchester/Salford/Macclesfield roots, but this felt like the Right gig at the Right place at the Right time. And perhaps time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home