Wednesday, February 22, 2006

She speaks from on high...

So it’s my turn to update!

As Ian wrote I have taken a temp position with a major bank. A dear friend of mine called me last Monday, the day before my interview at the ad agency, and mentioned that one of the business unit heads was looking for a new Executive Assistant* - with a bit of nouse - so she gave him my name.

The interview at the advertising agency went really well and the guy who saw me was keen to have me on board. Unfortunately (or fortunately, only time will tell), the client they pitched to before Christmas gave the work to a smaller agency in Perth, so what would have been my job, does not, at this point, exist. (That was one badly punctuated sentence [until my husband corrected it], folks!)

So, when I found that out on Friday I called my friend and arranged to start work here yesterday – Tuesday. Can I just say from the outset that I am typing this from my desk on the 30th floor of a tower in Melbourne’s CBD. My desk faces a HUGE window that allows me a clear view of the Yarra River, Southbank, the Docklands and out to Port Phillip Bay so if nothing the view is absolutely stonking!

I digress.

The guy I am working for has ushered in a major restructure of the operations in his particular business unit. Lots of toe-cutting will ensue, I am told. However, he has asked me to review this position and let him know how much of the job is just supporting him (minimal – I could do it standing on my head and be bored with it in a nano-second) and what other tasks could be added to the job description. So, I am to liaise with other department heads to get their feedback and basically create a role from scratch.

Even then I don’t think I would want the job. However, he has told me not to cancel out the fact that there may be another "interesting" role for me here. He hired me on the strength of my CV and my mate's recommendation, and as she is highly regarded, that bodes well for me.

So who knows where this will lead, really. What with Ian getting a job today, I can take it easy. And let’s face it, as I really enjoy telling people what to do, I am in my element…

*Fancy name for glorified, overpaid Personal Assistant.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Do you want to explain what toe-cutting is, honey?
Or do you want people to think you spend time under his desk?

Wednesday, 22 February, 2006  
Blogger claudy said...

Toe-cutting - I assume a local euphamism for getting rid of excess, useless, overpaid staff. Got it?

Thursday, 23 February, 2006  
Blogger claudy said...

Hey Jammy - you must be online now as I only just posted that comment.

Shame I can't email you - lost amongst the endless processes of a large corporate bank is my personal log in ... bother. Still, they are paying me!

We must speak soon!

love
Claudy

Thursday, 23 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, thank you for that clarification - got it now :-D

.. oh and well done!

Thursday, 23 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home