Saturday, June 24, 2006

Surreal Moments in Sport

So the Socceroos made it throught to the last 16 in what sounds like a bizarre match, conducted with [*ahem*] aplomb by our very own Graham Poll. Hmm, so how proud am I?

I had to work that morning, so the 5 AM kick-off and 7 AM start meant that I didn't catch the exciting last 20 minutes when it all happened...

I found out it was 2-2 as Claud had texted me, and the radio on the bus had excitedly announced it too. I was walking through a car park at the hospital adjacent to a construction site for a new building when I had a bizarre flashback moment: a cheer followed by a loud male chorus of " 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!!! 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go-ooo! "

Suddenly I was transported back to England circa 1985 with that o-so-irrepressible [and not a little banal] chant, not heard in the UK since the late 80s... hazy recollections of Everton v Rapid Vienna in the Cup Winners Cup Final, somewhere in Holland.

A very odd start to the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home