Friday, December 02, 2005

Manchester to Melbourne


I just read this.

Made me grin like an idiot.

But the band does love Melbourne — on their last tour Noel (Gallagher) tried to buy Cherry bar in AC/DC Lane and they recently asked Jet to support them on their US tour. "I'm glad Jet are from Melbourne — it would have been shit if they were from Sydney, because I don't really like Sydney that much. There's a very nice harbour, but a certain lack of soul about it. I'd rather live here." Noel Gallagher, The Age 2 December, 2005

The first year I lived in Manchester we were driving down Burnage Lane which is 2 minutes from where we live in Withington. Ian had just finished telling me that the Gallagher brothers grew up not far from there. I had been putting lipstick on and as I flipped up the visor Ian calmly announced 'And here's Noel now'.

I look over and sure enough, strolling along Burnage Lane, his cool demeanour tarnished slightly by the plastic SPAR (Aussies think 7Eleven) bag he was carrying, was bloody Noel Gallagher!!

I was SOOOOOOO excited but alas, too embarassed to call out and ask for an autograph. The memory rankles me to this day because a bloke in the car behind me called out and Noel wandered over, rested on the window and had a chat. Bugger.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not quite as bad as me running after Noel in Melbourne shouting his name... and then all I could think of to say was 'I used to live in Manchester'...doh. ;>
Anyway, good to read your dazefly blog. Nearly had me shedding a quiet tear for raintown [although I have to say that Sheffield's doing a fair impression today].

Saturday, 03 December, 2005  
Blogger claudy said...

I thought of you as i wrote this - bizarre that you meet Noel in Melbourne, my hometown and I meet him in Manchester, your hometown. Move back here will you woman!?

Saturday, 03 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would I want to move back there when you guys are going? answer me that one?!

Wednesday, 07 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home